Sunday, February 19, 2017

1995 Topps #669 Bruce Hurst

Bruce Hurst played in the Majors for 15 seasons. He pitched for the Boston Red Sox from 1980-1988. He signed as a free agent with the Padres, and pitched with them through the middle of the 1993 season when he was traded to the Colorado Rockies. He played his final season in the Bigs with the Texas Rangers in 1994. He finished his career with a 145-113 record, 1,689 strikeouts, and a 3.92 ERA with 23 shutouts.

Hurst got his first Topps card in 1980 on a 3-player rookie card, and got another 3-player card in 1981. He got his first Topps card to himself in 1982, and appeared in every regular Topps set through the 1993 set. He also got a 1989 Topps Traded card. Bruce is only missing a 1994 Topps card to complete his career Topps run after this 1995 Topps sunset custom that I made.

I recently ordered some cards online to beef up my player collection. With a 3-month old here, the money for cards just isn't in the budget sometimes, so I figured I would use some money from our tax return to help add some autographs and jersey cards of guys in my player collection. I mainly got some stuff from eBay, and I'll probably place an order on COMC in a week or two when we actually get the check in the mail. I think once I get all of the cards I will do a post of everything. On top of that, my boss at work recently found out that I collect cards. He goes to a flea market almost every Wednesday, and the last 2 times he went, he came back with some cards for me. Nothing too special, mainly junk wax stuff, but I actually need some of it.  I have always tried to get cards autographed at games, and I did the through-the-mail autograph thing from 2004-2012. I got a ton of junk wax cards signed during that time, and when I sold a good chunk of my autographs in 2013, I got rid of all of the junk wax ones, so now, I need new ones to replace the ones I sold. The first week, I got a rack pack from 1987 and 1988 Topps and got a few guys I needed, and this week, he got me 2 packs of '87 Topps, cards #700-800 of 1991 Upper Deck (which included a Jeff Bagwell rookie I didn't have), and a complete 1990 Topps set (no Frank Thomas No Name on Front, but I did get the regular one). I have a feeling that in a few months that I will have a ton of cards that I will need to put into binders (and I just organized all of them a few months back). I'll have to take a picture of all of the binders in my man-cave, but to give you an idea, I have at least 50,000 cards, probably closer to 100,000. My boss can bug me at times, but how many bosses get you cards?  I think I'll keep him. I have the custom stuff going (I'm still making cards, the 1995 checklist is almost done, and I'll probably work on getting the names of coaches for a few sets on Tuesday while my wife is getting cataract surgery on her eyes), and the real cards going with the cards coming through the mail and from my boss, and with all the stuff going on in my life besides that (work, wife, baby, dogs, housework, playing in the band at church), I don't think I'm going to have much free time. It's all good. The cards and customs help me relax and so does the blog. Thanks for reading.
-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment