Monday, May 16, 2016

1999 Topps Tim Laker

Tim Laker was a journeyman catcher for most of his career. He came up to the Big Leagues in 1992 with the Montreal Expos, and got time with them in 1993 and 1995 as well. He was with the Orioles in 1997, the Rays in 1998, then on to the Pirates in '98 and '99. He stayed in the Minors in 2000, then made it up to the Indians for 2001, 2003, and 2004. It was back to the Rays in 2005, and then one final season with the Indians in 2006 before calling it a career. 

Tim only got 2 cards in Topps sets, 1993 and 1994. After I made this card, I realized that it wouldn't have been possible for Topps to make this card in 1999 since Tim signed with the Pirates in the middle of the '98 season and got into some games with them later in the year. Oh well, as part of my '98 Devil Ray set, I guess everyone who played in a game (even if they got time with another club in 1998) deserves a card, it just will bug me now that this card wouldn't be possible. 

As with many of the guys I've been doing customs of, I should probably try to make the rest of their Topps cards, but only time will tell. My wife is 11 weeks pregnant with our first child, so I suppose that in the coming months, I won't be making many customs and my posting will be sporadic, but we shall see. 

I've done a good amount of customs (mostly '90's cards, as those were fun years for me as a baseball fan and collector). I think I like the designs of  '90's sets as well too, which could be why I've done a majority of them too. I did do a custom 2016 Bowman card of Brody Koerner, who I'm related to through marriage. I'm hoping to see him pitch next week in Daytona, but just found out he was put on the 7 Day Disabled List on May 5th, so hopefully he will get off it before then. I'm going to try to print out the card and maybe give him a few. Might get a chance to see him play in July, but it would be cool to see him play twice. Thanks for checking out my latest post.

-Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment